Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bluenose Pitbull

I rescued my Daisy Mae through Badrap.org back in 2006. She had a history as a fighting bait dog and then once her backyard breeder was done with her, put her out on the streets. Taken to the shelter at a year and a half old, 37 pounds and described as "severely emaciated", she cowered in a corner and did not know human or dog friendliness. She shook with fear at contact from either. Something in me clicked and I just vowed that she would never have another bad day. She chose not to come out of her unlocked crate for the first few days, but I slowly let her adjust to her new life of companionship, structure and tons of love. I brought calm, well socialized dogs around her and eventually, she was able to walk on a leash and interact. Occassionally a barking dog behind a fence or a loud noise would cause her to slump the ground or pee pee on her tail, which spent a lot of time fervently forced under her legs in a fearful position. What a miracle love can do though! Within 4 months, she blossomed. She passed her AKC Canine Good Citizen test like a champ and we geared up for the far more rigorous Certified Therapy Dog test, which she ace handily. Now, if you google, "Daisy Mae" and "Santa Barbara", you will see photographic evidence of her joyous years spent with me, a responsible owner.

No comments: